Wednesday, January 21

letter from a distant friend

Dear RSW,

Hope my letter simply finds you.
I burden you with troubling news that I have recently been leading man of. Here it goes:
This enveloped corpse lands in my letter-box the other day. I pick it up, open it and was surprised to find a paper cut dead body inside: origami suicide was my first thought.
But then...What could I make of it? Why did I get it? Was the paper corpse a mock up of my own body? Of my feelings? Or just a mocking innuendo? Why did it come in now and not sooner?
Paranoid scenarios kept rising in my head like grass straws from the ground on a fast forward tape of a biocumentary taken on a sunny spring.
I finally made the courage to put my reading glasses on and see what it was all about.
It was from the doctor's office. Hope you're stomach will handle this better than mine:
They say I have recently been diagnosed with pain asymbolia.
Not to worry, my dearest friend, because I feel it's a textbook case of wrong diagnosis.
I distinctly remember falling down the elevator pitch today and when my ideas smashed bloodily on the floor, they hurt and they were mine so I guess I hurt along. And I've been hurting along ever since.
So what they told me, that i can't feel pain, actually turned into phantom pain.
Enough about me, though.
How did my letter find you?

No comments: