Monday, September 8

old travis m.

White house no fence. Front door wide open. Suitcases in front of door and three steps in front of suitcases. I climb them without even noticing I'm climbing stairs.

This is private property, I hear from behind. You here to steal my suitacases?

I turn around: white hair blue eyes. Man. In his 60s.
I can't say for sure what I’m doing here. I was looking for Sammy.

Sammy doesn't live here anymore. He never did.

It’s a she. Sammy is a girl.

What kinda name is that for a girl? Sammy is a boy's name. And he ain't here. Better go away, boy. You not wanted here. I don't want you here. See the name on the postal box? Travis m. that's me. Travis m.

Nice to meet ya. I'm Sammy.

So you are Sammy.. Here hold my hat.

He puts this old trilby on top of my palm with the most careful move in the world, as if it was made of porcelain.

Don’t touch it. Just hold it. I hate it when my head accidentally touches something that has been touched by someone else. How old are you?

17, I say and then start to wonder if I really am 17 or if I’m lying. If so, am I younger or older?

Not good. You can't trust someone older than 14. I can't. I’m afraid I’ll have to shoot ya. You’re trespassing. This is my property mr Sammy. And Travis m. does not like trespassers. Particularly you.

What do you mean shoot me? I’ll leave.

I’m afraid it's too late, boy. A little late for turning back. You here. You die.

Wait a minute. This is not making any sense.

My point exactly with a girl named Sammy. It does not make any sense. And you're older that 14. It adds up in a twisted way. Do you even know why you're here?

No. I thought I was looking for Sammy. But then I figured that I was Sammy. Was I looking for myself? And just came across me?

You are Sammy. But you were not looking for yourself. Quite the other way around.

Myself was looking for me? That’s funny.

Funny, but true. Wouldn't you like for this expression to replace: sad, but true? It would be much easier smart-emotionally speaking.

I’m afraid that's not entirely possible. You see... it would mean that all the sad would be funny.

That’s happening as we speak. Every sad thing has a funny part, as well as there's a lot of sad in funny. It’s not like we're reinventing the wheel here. We’re just giving it some speed.

I’m afraid you lost me.

You chose to get lost. I’m only keeping my course. If you're not following me it's entirely your fault so don't you cast any blame on me.

You must have been alone for a long time.

You see. That’s funny, but true. You’re back on the wagon.

And wehre are we off to?

That’s beside the point. The point is that where we're going we're not coming back from. That’s the beauty of the ride. Nothing ever stays the same. It can't. I’ll explain. You see...there were two circles shaping a green tree. They met cute by shaking their centers. Same thing happened here. You are not here to look for any Sammy; you're here because Travis m. needed you. I just needed someone to help me carry the suitcases inside and I made you up. Now enough with the small talk and help me get these suitcases inside.

Sammy?

Sammy?

I can't believe it! The bastard dropped my trilby..

No comments: