Tuesday, September 30

the sad yield of the heart’s protuberance

Night led the way to an upcoming morning.
The girl eventually woke up although she expected not to.
Her eyes had been swollen from all that crying. Emptyless cries of grief and salt had wet the bed she had taken for virgin.
Too many chances had been taken on those same sheets and not by her. She was damn sure of it.
She got out of bed and walked her three steps towards that hotel-room mirror:

one

two

three

Mirror, mirror on the wall, you are the cruelest bitch of all. Let me see what they see., just this once. Stop showing me what I always see. I know this picture too well. It’s not a winning one, but a whining soon to be gone.

The mirror stood in silence and showed the same girl that it showed every time, regardless of location, type of glass, cut, shape, or place on the wall.

Fine. Be the bitch I know you are. Anyways. Just wanted to share some news: I woke up today with a protuberance on my heart. Chill. It’s not a disease. I’ve goolged it and wikipedia-ed it for the last couple of hours. Care to hear my theory?

Mirror shows same girl nodding.

I reckon I have a second heart that’s growing out of me. See the reason why I believe this is because my heart has been preganant for some time now. And she just went into labor. And gave birth to a new heart. Will this make me immortal? More like imoral if you ask me. One bitch with two hearts: can you just imagine the lines?

Mirror is as still as water.

You must think I’m crazy. You’ll see my point. I’m merely telling you all this so you can be prepared. For when I will fall into pieces. Cause I won’t. That’s what I wanted to let you know. Because I have a spare heart now. A fresh one. Just for me. Don’t look at me as if I were some silly quidnunc. I’m not boasting with my new heart. Besides, I’m telling you. Who better to understand posession of 2 hearts instead of a regular one than an object having none?

Mirror crashes into million pieces.

5 comments:

Eric S. said...

Your posts always make me think. I try hard to figure the meaning behind them. As I said before, just when I think I have it all figured out, I am convinced that my thoughts are completely wrong. I feel so much pain in your posts, and yet an undeniable strength.

When I get caught up on all my visits, I think I will come back and browse your archives in search of answers.

Irina Nedelcu said...

My posts are mere reflections of thoughts that got lost on some of my brain's twisted lanes and managed to escape dead ends. The pain is for artistical purposes only, or so I hope :)))
Thanks for dropping by, as always.

Lilly said...

Oh I really like that story. I always read things into your stories too and that's what is the most fun about your writing. I sense a certain cynisism that you have and I kind of understand it. It's a rawness that makes your writing really edgy. Your work always makes me think and by the end, you always have some neat little twist that goes in a complete different direction to where I thought it may. What I read into this is that having great heart(s) gives you the power of love, either directed inward or outward and that no object or heartless, immoral or evil person or situation for that matter can penetrate this. I dont see her as a bitch who will cause twice the havoc or heartbreak. She will use it for good. The mirror was scared of her. The powerful and all telling mirror with no soul or heart saw this power and crashed into a million pieces.

See? I read something into it that probably you never intended but isnt that the power of a great writer. By the way, excuse my ignorance, what is a quidnunc? And how are things going with you, still want to move to do your writing? Thanks for the good read. Feel free to take your links of the Past Life Regression stories down if you want. We won't be doing any more now.

Irina Nedelcu said...

@ Lilly: You are far too kind and I love your interpretation of the post. Quidnunc - is a word I recently came accross and it means: gossipy, interested in all that's new. I won't take down the links just yet, I am fond of the project. Maybe you come up with a new one. I'm going to apply for the MA next year. I am a little scared with the US monetary crisis & all, but hope it will be sorted out by 09. I might apply to an Aussie school as well. I'll keep you posted.

Aleta said...

I'm new to your blog and wow, what a post to start with! It packs a punch and brings you into the world before you know it. I take away from this that the girl is building her strength, that she will renew her life and not give in and the mirror crashing is the force of her faith, of her determination. Very well written and thoroughly enjoyed.